In the Shona language, Usahwira means "a beautiful friendship".
A friendship between your church and Africa University gives a student the opportunity for an education. An education gives this student an opportunity to change the world.
For $5,645 a year, (other amounts are accepted, but the four year commitment is required to participate as a Usahwira member) your church can fund an annual scholarship at Africa University. Your donation would mean a student could complete a four-year education at Africa University; the only General Conference approved United Methodist-related Institution of higher education on the continent of Africa.
Since 1992, Africa University has graduated more than 4,000 students who are changing the face of Africa. Become part of Usahwira (pronounced YOU-suh-we-rah) and build a relationship that makes a real difference in a young person's life. Please consider establishing your Usahwira.
How to establish Usahwira with Africa University:
- Include students, staff, and faculty of the university on your prayer lists
- Continue faithful support of your local church's annual apportionment
- Make a four-year commitment to annual scholarship funding and support a student from enrollment to graduation
- Add an annual Africa University Day celebration to the mission calendar of your church.
You will strengthen your Usahwira when you:
- Participate through Volunteers in Mission by sending a VIM team or sponsoring a building project
- Make a special gift to the endowment fund.
- Identify persons who can make a large gift to the scholarship fund, to a designated special project, and/or make a planned gift
- Enlist five or more honorary alumni/ae association members at the annual level of $50 or a lifetime membership of $500.
For more information, please contact us at:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgOffice phone: (615) 340-7438